Google Ads ( formerly Google AdWords) according to WIKIPEDIA is an online advertising platform developed by Google , where advertisers bid to display brief advertisements, service offerings , product listings or video to websites users.
Google ad can be placed both as a results in search engine and non search engine ( websites, mobile apps and video). Google ads offered their services under PAY-PER-CLICK (PPC) pricing model.
- HISTORY OF GOOGLE AdWords
In 2000, Google AdWords was officially launched. At first, users of Google AdWords advertisers are paid monthly for the services, and Google always manage and set up their campaign , later on Google AdWords introduced their self service portal called “JUMPSTART” in 2005.
Google launched their online marketing challenge in 2008, an in-class academic exercise for tertiary students. This challenge runs annually, basically from January to June. Google added enhanced campaign for Google AdWords to aid with campaign management centered to multiple device users which they planned to do in April 2013. The enhanced campaign aimed to include advanced reports about users.
On June 27, 2018, a re-branding of Google AdWords as good ads as of July 24,2018, Google announced.
Bloomberg news reported ( The deal has not been announced publicly) that Google had paid millions of Dollars to Mastercard for it users credit card data for advertising purpose in 2018.
- HOW DOES Google AdWords WORKS?
Google AdWords system is based partly on cookies and partly on keyWords determined by advertisers. Google place advertising copy on pages where they think it should be with this characteristics. Google AdWords can be implemented locally, nationally or international. Google pays their advertisers when their users divert their browsing when clicking on the advertising copy.
In May 2016, Google announced expanded text Ads allowing 23% new text. Google text advertisement mimic what the average search results look like on Google. Image ads can be one of the several different standardized sizes as designated by the IAB ( Interactive Advertising Bureau).
Advertisers also have the option of enable their ads to show on google partner networks besides the google search engine, including AOL search, ASK.com and NETSCAPE who received portion of generated income.
- Google Boost ( now “Google AdWords express”) : This is a features aimed at small business or that attempts to reduce the difficulty of managing keyWords and ads Placement.
- Google Ads Editor : It’s is a program that allow users to make bulk changes to ads and edit ads offline. It also allow users to see ads performance , like the dashboard.
- KeyWord Planner : It provides data on Google search and other resources to help plan advertising campaigns.
- My Client Center ( Now “Google AdWords Manager Account”) : It allow users to manage multiple account from one login and dashboard . This is most commonly used by marketing advertising agencies who manage a large portfolio of client account.
- Site Targeted Advertisement (Now “Placement Target Advertisement”) : They place adverts based on keywords,domain,topics,name,preference entered by the advertiser. If domain names are targeted , Google also provides a list of related site for placement. $0.25 is the minimum cost per click thousands impression generated on the placement target advert.
- Google AdWords Certificate(Now, “Google Academy for Ads”) : They provide a qualification to clients who pass Google Ads Fundamentals Exam and one Advance AdWords exams on search , display, video, shopping or mobile advertising company.
- Ads Extension : This allow advertisers to show extra information with their ads, such as a business address, phone number,links to a page or app, or sales and promotions. Automated extension ads may also be displayed by Google Ads such as consumer rating when the system predicts they will improve performance.
- Google Ads Grants : This program helps serves over 100,000 non-profits and charities since its launched in and gives eligible non-profit $10,000 per month in Google ads credits.
RESTRICTION ON ADS CONTENT
This affects country in which ads can appear from, when and where simply because the status of the ads are set by Google viewers and indicate what audiences the ads and websites are appropriate to.
Google no longer allow the display of URL to deviate from the destination of the URL AS OF April 2018. Prior to this, advertisement that are paid for could features different landing page URL to that of what is being displayed on Google search network. This policy was explained by Google that the change stems from both users and advertisers feedback. Users are being mislead in some cases and targeted by AdWords advertisers prior to the change of their policy.
As of December 2010, there was a decreased in the restriction over sales of hard alcohol by Google AdWords.
Now, Google AdWords allow the sale that promote hard alcohol. This was the extension of policy that was changed in December 2008 that allows ads that promote the branding of hard alcohol and liquor.
June 2007, Google start to ban AdWords adverts for some content such as student study essay-writing, some keywords related to hacking , Google banned the use of some keyword for some country such as Thailand, keywords like alcohol related product, another country like Poland, they banned some keywords like gambling and casino, another country like Russian , they banned keyword like Abortion and adult related service and prohibited worldwide.
In March 2020, at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, Google blocked all users that are use face mask keywords from being eligible for ads targeting as part of a policy to prevent companies attempting to capitalize on the pandemic.
COST ON GOOGLE ADWORDS CAMPAIGN
Whenever a user conducts a search on Google, AdWords run an audition to know which search ads are displayed on the search results page as well as the ads position. The cost depends on varieties of factors such as maximum amount of advertisers will to pay per click, the keyword being bid on, and the relevance and click frequency of ads and ads extension.